Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Agneepath (1990)

I like to watch earlier films and read books before I watch adaptations just to give myself some context in which to view the film. (I'm currently reading The Woman in Black) I've watched other films such as Devdas (1955), Don (1978), Umrao Jaan (1981) before I watched their newer counterparts.

This week it was the turn of Agneepath (1990) which is currently being remade by Karan Johar with Hrithik Roshan and Priyanka Chopra playing the lead roles.


I wasn't familiar with Agneepath before watching the film and avoided its Wikipedia entry which seems to have a scene by scene plot description included and so I had no expectations good or bad for the film. I found myself disappointed with the film completely. I can't think of anything in the film that I thought was better than average.

Amitabh has played many variations of his angry young man Vijay and of the ones I've seen this was probably my least favourite. I couldn't understand the character and his thought processes which made any sort of empathy or even interest in the films events impossible.

This is not a film I would recommend to any except the most hardcore Amitabh fans. I thought the plot was weak, characters undeveloped and cliched, and the romances tacked on.

Honestly what most annoyed me about the film was the voice Amitabh used throughout the film for his character. Vijay constantly spoke using a Christian Bale's Batman type voice which was so grating I actually watched the film on mute and just read through the subtitles. The voice seemed very put on and I don't see what it added to the character other than giving the impression that Vijay's been smoking 50 cigarettes a day his whole life.

After finally watching Agneepath, I can see no reason why Karan Johar would choose to remake the film with Hrithik and Priyanka. The new film has been described as being 'radically different from the original film' which would certainly be beneficial but then I see no point in labelling it a remake other than for cheap publicity and capitalisting on any existing popularity of the film and Amitabh's character.

3 comments:

  1. I know why Karan wants to make a remake: people in B-town can't f-ing think of some stories themselves at the time. Honestly, what's up with all those remakes and sequels? I'm sick of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard today there might be a Wake Up Sid sequel which would be the worst thing EVER! :((

    ReplyDelete
  3. this movies is best i seen both movie but this is best

    ReplyDelete